Sunday, May 16, 2010

Everyone's a little bit crafty right?

I pretty much love DIY, crafting, and anything that lets you create. I also firmly believe in upcyling. I've seen so many blogs with amazing projects and ideas, and I always follow or bookmark them for another day. Somehow never having the time to actually go back and try it. In high school I used to sew my own bags out of old t-shirts and other fabric scraps. Recently I've recommitted to crochet. (It feels awesome to create a scarf or hat and be able to gift it to someone.) In the past I've also used my minimal sewing skills to make my costumes. The best one by far being an old prom dress I converted into a Queen of Hearts ensemble. So I guess you can say I'm a dabbler. 

Now that summer is almost here (and the thought of crocheting anything makes me sweat), and the possibility of free time on the horizon - I want to try out all of these projects! I also need to save money for fall tuition, and upcycling is your budget's best friend.  

This weekend a friend and I tried out a project from cutoutandkeep.net and made some awesome candle holders. Kind of like the religious ones they sell at the market. Only we stuck with our preferred musical deities. She made a Janis Joplin, and I (of course) chose The Beatles. 


Really easy project (and fun)!

All you need is:
- a glass container or glass candle. We got ours at the Dollar Tree.
- Mod Podge. We got ours at Michaels with a 40% off coupon you get if you sign up on their website.
- Colored tissue paper. Again Dollar Tree. 
- a print out of whatever image you want to use 


Best of all, now that we have all of the materials we can make as many as we want.  
Hopefully this is just the first of many projects to come this summer

No comments:

Post a Comment